Currently seeking a CNC Machinist to join an expanding team in the Birmingham, AL area. The ideal candidate will possess previous experience as Manual Machinists and have 3+ years of Vertical Boring Mill experience.
|POSITION SUMMARY: |
|Setup and perform all operations assigned to CNC controlled machine tools, and setup and operate same or any other equipment during machine cycle.|
- Works from verbal instruction, detailed and involved part drawings, process sheets, and program documentation. Cutting speeds and feeds, tooling and operational sequences will be prescribed by programming personnel. Work consists of set-up, check programs, adjust tooling and operate automatic numerically controlled machine tools to perform complex series of progressive machining operations.
- Involves combinations of operations, such as, profile and contour milling, boring, drilling, turning, etc. to the capacity of the machine and control unit. Understand program format, work from operational data defining, and coding tooling and fixturing. Operator should have basic knowledge of cutting tool geometry.
- Mount, align and secure holding fixtures, or locate support and secure work piece in the absence of fixturing during prototype machining. Orient fixture and machine control unit to appropriate reference points. Adjust machine or control unit to correct deviations from program or tool specifications. Report and work closely with foreman and Manufacturing Engineering personnel to recognize and correct errors or updates encountered within the machining process. Operator will be responsible for maintaining productivity and cleanliness of machine tool. Operator will also be responsible for performing: minor preventative maintenance procedures.
- The machining is to close tolerance; requiring use of standard and special gages to insure parts meets quality standards. Operator will be responsible for the quality of the parts produced.
- Back-up shipping/receiving coordinator, requiring driving a non-CDL 26' truck for weekly deliveries/pick-up and computer work.
- Other responsibilities as assigned or required.
|TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:|
- All tools, fixtures or equipment required to perform assigned operation, tool changes or adjustments and setups for CNC Machine.
- Work is performed in a standing position, involving bending, stooping and the lifting of heavier weights during setup of the machine tools. May be required to move material to facilitate production.
- Work surroundings are good. Some excessive heat and contact with moisture, material chips. coolant, and oil are encountered.
- Hazards are minor cuts or bruises, but normal precautions make the job quite safe.
- Regular exposure to noise levels exceeding 85 db (hearing protection required when exposure exceeds 85db).
High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Requires minimum of three years experience in machine shop practices and techniques, including milling, drilling, and threading, boring, turning, plus additional training to acquire a working knowledge of numerically controlled machine tool concepts. Approximately eleven (11) months of formal on the job training is required to make a proficient machine operator a qualified CNC machine tool operator.
- Retention of this classification depends on demonstrating an ability and willingness to perform the required duties assigned to this machine tool.
- Requires the ability to read and interpret semi-complex machining and assembly drawings.
- Works from written or verbal instructions under general supervision, instruction, and guidance on unusual procedures and irregularities.
- Previous experience as a Manual Machinist
Large Vertical Boring Mill 70" - 150" TABLE EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Technical/vocational or high School diploma or GED required.
3+ years of Vertical Boring Mill experience
Excellent knowledge of all the mechanical aspects of the machinery/product line.
Excellent communication skills required to explain operations and maintenance of GDI products.
Compensation matches experience.